Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kathy-cra

I could not find the section where I entered my income outside and in Canada as I came back to Canada as resident during the year while reviewing my return. Pls help. TY

I use TB online (upgraded to basic $11.99) and I do for the year 2020. I got warning about these incomes, so I did fill in some info. No the warning is gone but so does the info I entered.
2 Replies

I could not find the section where I entered my income outside and in Canada as I came back to Canada as resident during the year while reviewing my return. Pls help. TY

If you moved to Canada and became a resident, then on the “Did your Canadian residency change in 2021?” page, you would need to answer “Yes”. Then you’ll be able to enter the date you entered Canada as well as your income for the part of the year that you were not a resident. To get to this page in TurboTax Online, select My Info, then [Your Name]’s change in residency.

If you have foreign property outside of Canada with a total cost amount of more than $100,000, you will also need to file a T1135 Foreign Income Verification Statement. To do this in TurboTax Online, please do the following:

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the top right
  2. In the Find window, type “for” and then choose “Foreign Income Verification Statement (T1135)” from the list. Then click “Go”.

The T1135 is filed separately from your regular return, so you will see an extra option when you go to file your return.

If you need more help with this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

kathy-cra

Thank you for the advice.

Yes, I did enter my arrival date and then the income amount. Since I did not have any income, I enter 0 and TB did not like it so I just entered some bogus number to get rid of the warning. Now my problem is  that I cannot go back to the place on the form to edit the bogus value which I do not even remember. I do not want to start from scratch.

About T1135, yes it does apply to my case. I just want the clarification on 'The T1135 is filed separately from your regular return'. Does it mean I need to submit two separate forms but I can send them together in one envelope (I plan to file by snail mail) to Winnipeg Tax Centre or do I need to send them in separate envelopes, even to different addresses. 

According to the section 'Filing a paper return' on the T1135 form, CRA says that T1135 can be attached to your income tax return, so I think I can send them together in same envelope. But Turbo Tax  says that I need to send T1135 separately to Ottawa.

Hopefully you can help clarify it for me. 

Thank you very much and appreciate your help.