Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luvmyrats

Is the 'claim rent' feature no longer available? My tax return states I have $0.00.

1 Reply

Is the 'claim rent' feature no longer available? My tax return states I have $0.00.

The Ontario Trillium Benefit received will not show as part of your refund, as explained below.

As per our TurboTax article with step-by-step video: What Is the Ontario Trillium Benefit?

The Ontario Trillium Benefit (OTB) is a refundable tax credit to assist low-income families in paying for energy costs, sales tax, and property tax. It combines three tax credits into one single payment:

1. The Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit or OEPTC
  2. The Ontario Sales Tax Credit
  3. And the Northern Ontario Energy Credit

The credits are funded by the Province of Ontario and are administered by the Canada Revenue Agency. Direct deposit payments issued may be indicated as “Canada PRO” in your account activity.

If qualified to receive this credit, the amount will be sent in payments throughout the year. 

• If your benefit is more than $360, you may choose whether you want to be paid monthly or annually. When you are paid monthly, you receive your payment earlier, but when you are paid annually, you are paid one lump sum at the end of the benefit year.
  • If your benefit is $360 or less, you do not have the option of being paid monthly; you are paid annually in July.

You can claim the Ontario Trillium Benefit if you are eligible for the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit (OTC), the Ontario Sales Tax Credit (OSTC), or the Northern Ontario Energy Credit (NOEC).

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.