Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i remove the canada care giver amount for a spouse

Using disk, standard version.  Wife is disabled with a T2201 on file with revenue Canada.  I don't want to claim the Canada Care Giver amount because it doesn't help me ... we get assistance from a family member so want them to claim the Canada Care Giver amount, but they can't if I have clamed it as well.  How do I remove it from my tax return.  I tried but schedule 5 supplemental would not allow me to remove it.  I also indicated in the information section that my wife was not dependant on me and that I didn't want to claim the spousal amount, but they were still included..

Thanks

2 Replies
spenst2

OK Dean, not sure if you have solved this issue. The way to do it is to override the amount in Schedule 5 in the line 304 section. To do this highlight the value at the bottom of the form and hit the f2 key. This will ask you if you want to override this value or not. Click on the yes button and then enter 0 in this field. It will now display the value in red not blue. Turbo Tax always defaults to calculating fields even when you don't want it to and very difficult to change. Override is the only way to do it.

JT14
Returning Member

Thanks, that was useful. In my case, I think it is line 51090 (on Schedule 5) that I need to override. However, if I try to do so, then I get a warning that says "If you override this calculation, you cannot file this return using netfile". Is there a way to not claim the Canada Caregiver Amount for a spouse, and still be able to file using Netfile?

Edit: I seem to have found a way; say no to "Are you eligible to claim the spousal amount?" on form INFOWS.