Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my roommate have to claim rent if I put that I paid $200 for rent for 4 months during 2022?

1 Reply

Will my roommate have to claim rent if I put that I paid $200 for rent for 4 months during 2022?

If your roommate is claiming Rental Income: If you paid your roommate $200 for rent for four months during 2022, it's likely that your roommate would need to claim that rental income on their tax return. This is because rental income is generally taxable in Canada, even if it's only a small amount. Your roommate would need to report the rental income they received on their T776 Statement of Real Estate Rentals form, which is used to report rental income and expenses. 

In this case, please visit TurboTax FAQs page: Claiming Expenses on Rental Properties

If you roommate is not claiming Rental Income: If the rental payments were made as part of a personal arrangement or informal living agreement, and the payments were not in exchange for the right to use a specific space or property, then your roommate may not need to claim the rental income. 

In this case, please visit Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) page: Accommodation sharing

What was considered eligible rent

Note: If you are both paying rent together, you both need to have a receipt for your own amount paid. You will need a receipt from your landlord or person receiving the rent to prove to the Canada Revenue Agency that he is eligible to claim a credit for the rent.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.