Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self Employed on the Gig industry - GST Implications?

Hi,

I have multiple sources of "self-employed" income. I file my taxes as self-employed, and have been collecting GST since August 2020. 

Recently, I started offering my services through Fiverr. I'm a freelancer, working on gigs for people all over the world, mostly outside Canada. Since I'm offering my services through this platform, Fiverr charges customers for the work performed, and then the platform pays me the amount minus fees. 

I'm unsure what the GST Implications would be in this case. Since most of my customers are outside Canada, and Fiverr is technically operating from Israel, would all Fiverr income be deemed Zero Rated? Even if the Fiverr customer is in Canada? I cannot easily keep track of how much is coming from Canadian customers

1 Reply

Self Employed on the Gig industry - GST Implications?

As per CRA (Canada Revenue Agency),

There may be a reasonable expectation of profit from your online activities, and your total taxable supplies may be more than $30,000 over four calendar quarters. If so, you will need to register for, collect and pay to the Canada Revenue Agency the goods and services tax / harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) on all taxable sales from your services made inside and outside of Canada. You can get more details on GST/HST registration requirements at Find out if you must register for a GST/HST account.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.