Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I pay my roommate a portion of the rent every month and they pay the full amount since they are on the lease and I am not. How do I claim this on my taxes?

2 Replies

So I pay my roommate a portion of the rent every month and they pay the full amount since they are on the lease and I am not. How do I claim this on my taxes?

As per our TurboTax article Can I claim a tax deduction for my rent? If you share accommodations with roommates, each of you can apply for the OTB. Calculate your portion of the rent only when filling out the application. 

Make sure your friend is not claiming the full amount.

To claim your rent on your taxes-Ontario Trillium Benefit please follow the steps below.

• Sign into TurboTax.ca to enter your return.
  • Click on the "Find" icon (the magnifying glass on the top right of the screen).
  • Type in "Property Tax and Rent Credit", then click on GO. 
  • Here you must accurately report your rent amounts and other information required. 
  • Make sure to always click Continue or Done at the bottom of each screen to save your information.

For more information, please see the Canada Revenue about the Ontario trillium benefit (OTB).

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thank you so much!