Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cls4
Returning Member

T5008 form. Do I need to submit it

Hi. I had company shares purchased automatically from my paycheques throughout 2016 (yes, I'm very late with my tax returns). At the end of the year, some of the shares were transferred into an RRSP account. I got a T5008 showing this. As the shares weren't sold, does the T5008 still need to be submitted in the tax return? If yes, Box 20 is empty in the T5008. Is this the average cost of a share or total cost of the shares transferred?  Thanks much for any help on this.

1 Reply

T5008 form. Do I need to submit it

That would be the total cost of what you paid. However it is possible that Box 20 is empty due to the fact that there is a contribution to your RRSP instead as you've stated that it was transferred. You will need to submit these figures however you should look and find for a slip reporting your RRSP contribution. The contribution would state the total cost of the securities as the amount to your RRSP. You can usually find RRSP contribution slips with the brokerage associated with the buying/selling of your securities.

For more information, check out: Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - RRSP Contribution Receipt Return

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.