Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5008. Security sold was a "Investment Savings Account" (i.e. money market fund that pays interest). Do I report this type of income as "Capital Gains" or "Investment"?

Product sold by TD Bank (TDB8150).
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

T5008. Security sold was a "Investment Savings Account" (i.e. money market fund that pays interest). Do I report this type of income as "Capital Gains" or "Investment"?

Typically a Money Market account reports income on a T5/T3 slip. The disposition of shares usually does not trigger a Capital Gain as the Book Value remains the same as the Proceeds. As an example if you purchase a money market fund at $10 per unit it will sell at the same value no matter what period of time has passed. However there are rare circumstances when this would not be the case. Confirm the Cost at time of purchase for the units and the unit value when sold.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Typically a Money Market account reports income on a T5/T3 slip. The disposition of shares usually does not trigger a Capital Gain as the Book Value remains the same as the Proceeds. As an example if you purchase a money market fund at $10 per unit it will sell at the same value no matter what period of time has passed. However there are rare circumstances when this would not be the case. Confirm the Cost at time of purchase for the units and the unit value when sold.