Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ab562

Where can I add rental property legal fees?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When you reach the form to fill out information related to the rental property, you would enter the legal fees under Professional fees.

Under the navigation tab, go to Income > Rental Properties. You will find Professional Fees in the Expenses section of the form.

See attached.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ab562

To clarify, the legal fees should be a CCA not an expense, as the fees were incurred for the rental purchase. Does the answer still apply?

When you reach the form to fill out information related to the rental property, you would enter the legal fees under Professional fees.

Under the navigation tab, go to Income > Rental Properties. You will find Professional Fees in the Expenses section of the form.

See attached.

ab562

To clarify, the legal fees should be a CCA not an expense, as the fees were incurred for the rental purchase. Does the above still apply?

Legal fees incurred for the rental purchase would have to be proportionately allocated between land and building (as a ratio of their cost) and added to the cost. If you don't know what the proportion are, your real estate agent should be able to help you identify the cost of land and the cost of building.

If it's a new CCA asset, you would enter the the building+portion of legal fee in "Enter Additions" when you reach the T776 Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) section.

Note: land is not a depreciable asset and therefore no CCA can be claimed.

For more info (see Rental Properties) or an example of allocating legal fees between land and building:
https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1190136-what-types-of-legal-fees-can-i-claim-as-deduc...
ab562

Thanks TurboTaxJudyToo. Great info and very detailed; I really appreciate your help!