Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What benefits could i claim, while taking care of my mother before she passed? I spent 4 months as the primary caregiver while my mother was in hospice.

She did recieve some homecare ( only a couple hours a day) while i was there nearly 24 hours a day. I am self employed, so I was off work, but did not recieve any government benifits.

What, if anything, can i claim?
1 Reply

What benefits could i claim, while taking care of my mother before she passed? I spent 4 months as the primary caregiver while my mother was in hospice.

We are sorry for your loss.

You can claim the medical expenses of your mother as she may be qualified as a dependant if the applicable conditions are met.

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA),

"Generally, you can claim the entire amount you paid for care at any of the following facilities:

• nursing homes (full-time care)
  • schools, institutions, or other places (providing care or care and training)

We consider care to be full-time care when a person needs constant care and attendance.

Other places could include an out-patient clinic, such as a detoxification clinic; however, they do not include a recreational facility, such as a residential summer camp, even if it caters to persons with disabilities."

You can also look into the CRA page "Medical expenses for self, spouse or common-law partner, and your dependent children under 18 years... for more details.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.