Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deforbes

What claim period would I put for LASIK Surgery which occurred July 16th 2016.

I tried to put 16th - 17th. But it says it needs to be 12 months. So I put Jan 2-Dec30 2016 and it gives warnings and then doesn't put it on my return.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are claiming one expenses or a group of expenses that occurred during any time in 2016 then you would use the claim period of a calendar year (any 12 month period ending the day after your most recent expense.

As an example if you incurred expenses in July 2016 you could claim Aug 2015 until July 2016.

A calendar year would include January 1st through December 31st, 2016.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you are claiming one expenses or a group of expenses that occurred during any time in 2016 then you would use the claim period of a calendar year (any 12 month period ending the day after your most recent expense.

As an example if you incurred expenses in July 2016 you could claim Aug 2015 until July 2016.

A calendar year would include January 1st through December 31st, 2016.

deforbes

If I do that (Aug2015-Jul2016), it doesn't list it in my deduction summary, and does not include it in my tax forms.

If the expense was your only expense for 2016 then I would suggest the calendar option.
deforbes

Oh, it has to be exactly 12 months down to the day, including weekends, otherwise it leaves it out and doesn't give warnings or list it in the eligible expenses within the deduction summary.
Thank you for your help