Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What currency should I put on foreign income?

I found a instruction that says I should convert the foreign income and put in CAD$ and include the exchange rate on the top. But I noticed when I check the "summary", the summary automatically convert the amount again so the amount is converted twice? Is this correct? Thank you!
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can either enter the foreign currency in the foreign income and then enter the foreign exchange rate so that the program does the currency exchange for you OR do the foreign exchange calculation yourself and enter the amount in Canadian $, in which case you do not enter the foreign exchange rate in the foreign exchange box   In your case, the system assumed that the Canadian $ amount that you had already exchanged was still in foreign funds and applied the exchange rate you entered again.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can either enter the foreign currency in the foreign income and then enter the foreign exchange rate so that the program does the currency exchange for you OR do the foreign exchange calculation yourself and enter the amount in Canadian $, in which case you do not enter the foreign exchange rate in the foreign exchange box   In your case, the system assumed that the Canadian $ amount that you had already exchanged was still in foreign funds and applied the exchange rate you entered again.

Thank you!!!