Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ykema

Where do I put a loss in a T5008?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A loss is indicated on the T5008 by the amount in Box 20 (Cost or Book Value) being greater than the amount in Box 21 (Proceeds or Settlement). Make sure that "Type of Income" (drop down menu under Box 19) says 'Capital Gains'.

Access the T5008 input screen under the "Income" tab > hover over "T-slips" and select T5008 from the list.

Capital Losses reduce Capital Gains in the current year, excess losses can be carried back 3 years (under the "Deductions" tab > "Losses" > Net-Capital Losses Carry Back) or forward indefinitely.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

A loss is indicated on the T5008 by the amount in Box 20 (Cost or Book Value) being greater than the amount in Box 21 (Proceeds or Settlement). Make sure that "Type of Income" (drop down menu under Box 19) says 'Capital Gains'.

Access the T5008 input screen under the "Income" tab > hover over "T-slips" and select T5008 from the list.

Capital Losses reduce Capital Gains in the current year, excess losses can be carried back 3 years (under the "Deductions" tab > "Losses" > Net-Capital Losses Carry Back) or forward indefinitely.

ykema

Do i need to note this loss anywhere else to carry the loss forward into future years?

No the Loss will automatically be recorded by CRA and show up on your Notice of Assessment.
ykema

amazing! thanks for your help!

You are welcome.