Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my T5008 listed as capital gains in my summary when it is my sales of investments? My realized capital gains and losses is a few thousand, $90859

In my TD financial report my realized capital gains/ losses is ($255.40) and yet my summary of taxable capital gains reflects the proceeds of disposition/ settlement amount which is $90567.96 (I had cashed out my investments to purchase my house). I did NOT receive that in taxable capital gains. What to do?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why is my T5008 listed as capital gains in my summary when it is my sales of investments? My realized capital gains and losses is a few thousand, $90859

You need to make sure the cost of the investments are also included.  This is box 20 of the T5008 slip.  If box 20 is blank then you need to get the value(s) from your investment advisor or calculate the cost (s) from your transaction records.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You need to make sure the cost of the investments are also included.  This is box 20 of the T5008 slip.  If box 20 is blank then you need to get the value(s) from your investment advisor or calculate the cost (s) from your transaction records.