Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I paid rent in Ontario for a basement suite. Would it qualify for the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit

3 Replies

I paid rent in Ontario for a basement suite. Would it qualify for the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit

The Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit (OEPTC) is part of the Ontario Trillium Benefits (OTB). Assuming you meet all the other requirements, paying rent would qualify you for the OEPTC.

For more information on qualifying for OTB, see: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/provincial-territorial-progra... 

I paid rent in a basement suite in Toronto do not understand the government page. What I qualify for the Ontario energy and property tax credit

Yes, paying rent would qualify you for the OEPTC. But you still need to meet the income threshold. In your case, just apply, and the software will work the rest of it out for you.