Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I manually input "contributions to pension"?

I am filling MFJ and trying to amend our return  because we didn't upload the second W2. We have the information plugged into our separate Turbo Tax accounts, but on my spouses "contributions to pension" from the W2 shows up under Deductions. However, on mine it does not show up and the same information is entered on both accounts. Is there a way to manually input it as it is making the refund amounts different.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Why are you entering it on both accounts?  A joint return is one return combined for the both of you.  Ignore the other spouse's account.  Then you only enter Pension contributions from the W2 nowhere else. It does not go under Deductions.  That is only for IRA contributions.  

We inputted it into the second account after we realized we didn’t upload the W2 just to see what the difference would be in the refund amount. It has our refund amount as $312 with the changes, but $1412 with the same information loaded in the other account.

@herosareangels 

We suspect, that in the account with the higher refund,  that one of you may have double-entered the retirement contribution.   i.e. IF retirement contributions are showing in box 12 of the W-2 form, then that is the Only place they  re supposed to be entered.  (or in box 14 for certain 414h plans).

You do not enter those contributions again on the Deductions&Credits page as IRA contributions. IRA contributions are entirely separate accounts some people set up for themselves. AND IRAs are not 401k, nor 403b, nor 457 accounts.  

So check to see if one of you accidentally entered some IRA contribution $$ on the Deductions&Credits page  (unless you truly set up a personal IRA account)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

We didn’t. We even deleted everything and did them side by side. We even tried entering the W2 manually. 

It's almost impossible for us to figure out without actually seeing each tax preparation, and that cannot be done in this Public Forum.   (And you shouldn't trust doing so even if it was a private communication)

What you could do is the following: Compare the two tax return 1040 forms side by side, and line by line, to see if that reveals something entered improperly on one vs the other.

1) IF you've paid software fees for both tax return files already, you can print them both out to compare.

or

2) IF you've paid for the software fees for just one of those tax return files, you can simply download a PDF and print out the forms and schedules.   Then you would log into the other file's account, get into that tax file, then use the Tax Tools menu on the left side to look at a copy of the form 1040 and schedules 1,2,3 to compare to your printed copy from the other account.

or

3)  If you haven't paid for the software for either account, then you might need tow computers to log into each account separately...then use the Tax Tools menu to bring up a copy of each 1040 and schedules 1,2,3 to compare line-by-line.  (I don't think you can bring up both on the same computer....perhaps, possibly, maybe using two entirely different browsers, but not in another tab on the same browser).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies