Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

decli5005

For TY2022 I enetered social security benefits on line 6a. Turbotax entered an amount that is 82% less on 6b. IRS is questioning it. I don't know why. Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For TY2022 I enetered social security benefits on line 6a. Turbotax entered an amount that is 82% less on 6b. IRS is questioning it. I don't know why. Please help.

If the IRS is saying the wrong amount is taxable on line 6b it's because they changed some other income on your return.   There has been no Turbo Tax errors reported for Social Security.  

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

To see the Social Security Benefits Calculation Worksheet  in Turbo Tax Online version you would have to save your return with all the worksheets to your computer.   Or if you are using the Desktop CD/Download Software you can switch to Forms Mode (click Forms in the upper right) and click on SS in the list on the left side.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Are you able to look at your 2022 return?

On the Home Page, look for "Your Tax Return and Documents"

Click that open and select 2022 tax return. 

You should be able to print the return. PRINT ALL WORKSHEETS with the return. 

There should be a "Social Security Benefits Worksheet" 

Send a copy of that worksheet to the IRS. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes the taxable amount of SS can be up to 85% on 6b.  Is line 6a the amount from your SSA-1099 box 5?  It's very common for the IRS to change some other income which will make more of your SS taxable.  Check all the lines on your return. 

Maybe you have the wrong amount on line 4b or 5b for 1099R income.   And make sure the 1099R amounts are on the right line 4 (for IRA) or 5 (pensions and 401k).  If it is on the wrong line the IRS will miss it and say you didn't report it and add it in which will make more of your SS taxable.

decli5005

There are no documents - when I click view documents, it's asking to upload them.  If I click "download tax pdf" it just gives me a copy of my tax return.  Where else could they be?

Thanks!

decli5005

It's 82% LESS - only a fraction of the full amount.   
Taxcut shows the taxable amount is 18% of line 6a.   

The IRS says it should = 6a.  

There is nothing entered in 4a

6a = Box 3 & Box 5 on SSA 1099

If the IRS is saying the wrong amount is taxable on line 6b it's because they changed some other income on your return.   There has been no Turbo Tax errors reported for Social Security.  

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

To see the Social Security Benefits Calculation Worksheet  in Turbo Tax Online version you would have to save your return with all the worksheets to your computer.   Or if you are using the Desktop CD/Download Software you can switch to Forms Mode (click Forms in the upper right) and click on SS in the list on the left side.

When did you file 2022?  Did you use the Online version or the Desktop program?

How to Access prior year online returns
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/00/270...

If you can't get the side menus to open up to access the prior year..... You need to start entering some basic Personal Info in 2023 for the side menu to open up. Just continue a little ways into 2023. I had to go though about 12 screens.

If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online. So you need to make and keep your own backups.

Or request a transcript from the IRS
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Or get a copy of your return using form 4506
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

decli5005

@VolvoGirl   Great advice!  I filed the 2022 return in March of 2023.  I took your advice and "started" this year's tax return and when it finally showed Prior Year's Docs, it didn't have any documents, only the tax return to view.  I would like to see the worksheets.  I purchased "TY2022 TurboTax Online Self-Employed DIY"

After the year is over they save the pdf download with all the worksheets so they should be in there.  Did you download your return?  

decli5005

Thank you @VolvoGirl - that answered my question!  You rock!

Did you figure out line 6b for Social Security?

decli5005

@VolvoGirl   Yes, a client sent in TWO 1099s for my service - one under the individual's name and one under the business name.  I only received income from the individual.  So, have to convince IRS of that.  Because IRS now thinks I had more income, the taxable amount on the SS income changed.  It's a mess. But will get straightened out. Thanks for your help!

At least you know what happened.  How did you find it?  Did the IRS letter say you were missing a 1099NEC?  

decli5005

No, not missing one.  The client sent TWO 1099s to the IRS - one from the individual, and one from the business. GRRR.  Duplicates of each other. SAME FEIN.  You'd think IRS would question them - like, are you surrrrrrrrre you meant to send in 2?  

I know ,   I meant the IRS got two 1099s but you only reported one of them on your return so the IRS said your return was missing one.  How did you figure out they sent 2 to the IRS?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies