Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My boyfriend died in August , he was on social security disability, we've never filed together do I file his with mine ?

Can u file a deceased taxes onto your own?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

My boyfriend died in August , he was on social security disability, we've never filed together do I file his with mine ?

Yes, you can file the return. 

When someone passes away, their surviving spouse or representative files the deceased person's final tax return. On the final tax return, the surviving spouse or representative will note that the person has died. The IRS doesn't need any other notification of the death.

Their return can be filed using the existing TurboTax online account to prepare their personal tax return. There is a checkbox for "this person died during (Current Year)" in their personal info section.

The IRS will allow tax returns for deceased taxpayers to be e-filed.

Before you file a decedent return, make sure the Social Security Administration has been notified of the taxpayer's death. 

You can either go to their website or call 1-800-772-1213.  

Many (but not all) states allow decedent tax returns to be e-filed as well. We'll let you know when you get ready to e-file the state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

don't put another's income on your tax return, before, or after death unless the person is your spouse.

@fletchersindi-gm 

If his only income was SSI or SSDI then there is no need to file a return at all.  

If you supported him all year until he passed then he may be claimed as a dependent on your return ... follow the interview screens in the MY INFO section of the program.  Be aware that you may need to paper file to get the $500 credit for OTHER dependents due to his death.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies