Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nduck88

Does Turbo Tax support selecting Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 on a State return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Does Turbo Tax support selecting Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 on a State return?

Not directly, but you are allowed to claim it.  I'll give an example of how, even though I don't know what the states are (I don't have access to your file in this public forum).

Let's say the active duty spouse has an SLR of Texas and the Military Spouse was from Missouri, and that's where you are stationed.  The Military spouse has never established residency in Texas.  Prior to 2018, the military spouse (non-active duty) would have been required to pay tax to Missouri on his/her income.  However, because of the Veterans Benefits and Transitions Act of 2018, that non active-duty spouse may now claim the same state of residency for 2018 as the active-duty spouse, Texas, which has no state tax.

Since MO tax was withheld, it will be necessary to file a MO nonresident return with zero income.  Do not e-file the return.  Rather, mail in the return with the following written at the top:  Per the Veterans Benefits and Transitions Act of 2018, I elect Texas as my state of residency.  The income tax withheld by MO by law must be refunded.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nduck88

We are stationed in California and per the state of California website "If the spouse makes the election, write “VBTA” at the top of the tax return in RED INK, or include it according to the software’s instructions." So California accepts e-filing with VBTA, it just seems like TurboTax needs to make that an option in the software.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Unless there is something specific in the software that allows for the election, you will need to use the mail-in instructions and write VBTA in red ink.  It is nice that California has that provision, because it came so late in the year that many states are still adapting to it.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies