Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

air1erb
Returning Member

Question about Indiana state tax on Social Security income

Hello, I used TurboTax to file my taxes this year, March 2024. I previously lived in Florida but moved to Indiana in 2023. When I entered my Social Security income using the SSA 1099 form, it charged me state tax at that time. But I have read Social Security income is exempt From Indiana State tax. This resulted in a paying $5000 to state tax this year. Am I confused? I do something wrong? TurboTax make a mistake? Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thank you.

Earl

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Question about Indiana state tax on Social Security income

The state of Indiana does not tax Social Security benefits.   Indiana may tax certain other kinds of retirement income.    Did you enter your SSA1099 in the wrong place in the software so that it was treated as some other kind of income?

Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

If you entered your SSA1099 in the correct spot in the federal software, it shows up on your Form 1040 on lines 6a and 6b.

States that tax Social Security benefits:

CO, CT, KS, MN, MO, MT, NE, NM, RI, UT, VT,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies