Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Do I enter my pension distribution amount from line 1 (on my 1099R) to the Non taxable massachusetts pension box? My pension is non taxable for the state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Do I enter my pension distribution amount from line 1 (on my 1099R) to the Non taxable massachusetts pension box? My pension is non taxable for the state.

No, enter it exactly as it shows on the 1099-R.   There will be questions both in the Federal and the State to resolve that issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ruthie2

Entered 1099R on Federal. MA form 1 keeps trying to have me fix error on worksheet.

MA govt. pension is tax exempt for MA tax. If I enter zero in blank or the exempt amount there's still an error that sends me back to the worksheet.

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

Open the Massachusetts return until you get back to the section in  "Pensions and Annuities from All sources"

• Do you have any tax-exempt income from pensions or annuities?
  • You should respond  "Yes'
  • Then the amounts transferred over form the Federal entries will display with a drop-down menu with three selections 1) T-taxable Pension; 2) G- Tax-exempt, and 3) K-Keogh Distribution. 
  • Please select "Tax Exempt"  in the drop-down menu, to exclude the following pensions as non-taxable on the Massachusetts state return. There is no need to enter an amount or "zero".
  • Massachusetts, excludes all federal, state, and local pension income from taxation:
  • Massachusetts, exempts military pensions from income taxes entirely:

please indicate version and platform.  I do not find any of what you are talking about in my version of turbo tax.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I went through the Massachusetts state questions you will come to Retirement/Pension Deduction Summary.  It states that you can correct it on the Federal input page.  However,  opn the next page there is a place to make a pension adjustment.

I use form 1099-R. I file in Massachusetts. My 1099-R line 1 is "Gross Distribution" not Pension Distribution. I thought line 2a "Taxable Amount" figure was entered into the non taxable Mass pension box.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

No, you should enter nothing on your Massachusetts box unless there is an amount in your 1099-R. Enter your 1099--R as is and the entry will flow to your state return.

Your saying nothing should be entered on the Massachusetts box unless there is an amount in your 1099-R What amount on my CSA 1099-R  are you referring to? What box # does this figure come from. Is it  box 1 (Gross Distribution) or box 2 a:( taxable amount) I have figures shown in  these two boxes

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@anthony340 

You will enter your form into the federal just as it is on the form.

Then when you get into the MA preparation, you will be asked if you have tax exempt income from pensions or annuities. 

Answer YES.

You will see your CSA 1099-R  listed.

Click on the drop down box and mark it tax exempt.

You do not need to enter any amount as the program is taking it off for you.

Just for your information, the taxable amount is the one on your federal and will be subtracted from your state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies