Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bobr5

Does the 5 year rule on roth earnings reset if I do a roth conversion this year and another next year? I am 67 and have a 6 year old roth now.

My humble opion thinks I need a new roth account each year I do an additional ira to roth conversion so I can track the 5 year rule on roth earnings seperately.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Does the 5 year rule on roth earnings reset if I do a roth conversion this year and another next year? I am 67 and have a 6 year old roth now.

Each conversion has a separate 5 year clock.

However, that is irrelevant for you and you can ignore the conversion clock after age 59-1/2.  When you do the conversion, you pay the regular income tax on the converted amount.  The 5 year conversion rule says that if you withdraw the converted funds in less than 5 years, you pay a 10% penalty for early withdrawal.  But that penalty never applies once you are over age 59-1/2.  

Let me try again, I think I misunderstood your question.  No, you don't need multiple IRA accounts.

There are two different 5 year clocks.  The "earnings" clock, as you refer to it, says that withdrawal of earnings are taxable if the account has been open less than 5 years, even if you are over age 59-1/2.  There is also a "conversion" clock that means that if you make a traditional to Roth conversion, this is subject to a 10% penalty for early withdrawal if the conversion is less than 5 years old AND you are under age 59-1/2.  Each conversion has its own 5 year conversion clock, but the "earnings" clock only has to be satisfied once.  As long as it has been at least 5 years since opening ANY Roth IRA, all your Roth IRA accounts are deemed to have satisfied the earnings clock.  

Plus, as stated, the conversion clock doesn't apply after you are over age 59-1/2.

All Roth withdrawals are treated as though you withdraw contributions first, conversions second, and earnings last.  You don't track individual dollars, and you don't track the balances of separate Roth accounts separately (if you had more than one account).  All Roth IRAs are aggregated for this purpose.  You simply need to know the amount of your contributions and the amounts and dates of your conversions. 

The bottom line really, is you can ignore all of this.  You are over age 59-1/2, and your Roth account was opened more than 5 years ago.  From now on, all your withdrawals are tax-free, no matter if they are conversions, contributions or earnings, and no matter how long ago a conversion was. 

dmertz
Level 15

The 5-year conversion clock has only to do with assessing an early-distribution penalty on amounts attributable to taxable conversions and there is no early-distribution penalty on converted amounts after age 59½.  If you are over age 59½, there is no 5-year conversion clock to be concerned about.

The 5-year clock for determining whether or not your Roth IRA distributions are qualified distributions is an entirely different clock that began on January 1 of the year for which you first made any Roth IRA contribution (other than an excess contribution) and never resets.  You've already satisfied this 5-year clock, so any amount that you take out of your Roth IRAs is free of any tax.

@bobr5 simply: 

as long as you are over 59.5 years old AND ANY Roth IRA account in your name has been open prior to 1/1/19 (5 calendar years), there is no tax of any sort on a Roth distribution that occurs in 2023.  

rest easy.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies