Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

rromanis
Returning Member

UK Goverment Pension and Private Pension - Tax free in US or not?

In years past we have entered our payments as a lump sum in line 8 of Schedule 1. How do we do that in this paperwork???

In TurboTax search for foreign income then jump to foreign income

• Say yes to have income from a foreign country
  • For form reported on, select a statement from a foreign employer (could be cash)
  • Enter your pension amount and continue through the foreign income screens.
kim180568

I reached out to TT expert help and they tried to tell me that my UK pension is not taxable.

Everything else I read tells me that it is.

You are correct about what I consider to be the very unfair windfall elimination provision. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, your UK pension is taxable in the US but if you have already paid tax on it in the UK, you may be entitled to a foreign tax credit in the US because of the UK-US Treaty arrangement. To report as foreign pension income in Turbo Tax, please follow the instructions given by ReneeM7122 given in this Turbo Tax post.  After reporting the pension income, you will claim the foreign tax credit by:

1. Federal>deductions and credits>
  2. estimate and other taxes paid>Foreign Tax Credit>start 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
shallathm
Returning Member

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/wep.html

If you are eligible for a pension based on work you did for a federal, state, or local government, a nonprofit organization, or in another country and you did not pay Social Security taxes, this pension can affect the amount of your Social Security benefits. We refer to this reduction as the Windfall Elimination Provision, or WEP.

If you paid Social Security taxes on 30 years of substantial earnings, WEP does not apply to you.

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Yes, Foreign Pension income is taxable in the US.  If you also paid Foreign Taxes on your pension, claim a Foreign Tax Credit on the tax paid.

If you have a 'government' pension from a foreign country, it may not be taxable in that country. 

To report the foreign pension income, under Wages & Income, scroll all the way down to Less Common Income, then to Miscellaneous Income 1099-A, choose Start/Update. 

On the next page, scroll all the way down to Other Reportable Income; choose Start/Update.  On the next page, you enter a Description and Amount (screenshot). 

To claim the Foreign Tax Credit, under Deductions & Credits, scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid; choose Start/Update for Foreign Taxes. 

@shallathm

Sorry, I only just saw this reply. I had actually done what I see you now suggested.

However, it's an example of double taxation.

In this case the UK pension is not taxed in the UK, but is considered against the Social Security payment that I'm entitled to, and it is accordingly reduced by some mysterious SS calculation.

Then of course it all, SS and the UK pension gets taxed as "unearned income" .......

N Grant

Regarding reporting the UK Pension in the Social Security Benefit  area Box 5,

What do I do if I also receive Social Security?  Combine the two incomes and then offset the UK Pension on the Other Taxable Income Screen?

For Years I have been sending in a substitute W2 Form and Form 4852  (and earlier years similar forms) reporting the income and therefore PAYING US taxes on the UK Govt Pension.  Every time I researched it I always understood that US income taxes had to be paid on the pension.  UGH!

Thank you for your help

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

In reading this Turbo Tax post, Article 17 of the US-UK tax treaty related to UK social security payments and would be the Article 17 cited to exempt your UK state pension from being double taxed in the US. 

To qualify for this exemption, you would have need to pay tax on your pension in the UK. Now how to report, you have several options.

1. If you didn't pay tax on it in the UK, you will report it is other income rather than report it as a Social Security benefit. You would report this as Also check to see if you may have entered this as other income by going to   Federal Taxes -> Wages & Income>Less Common Income>Miscellaneous Income> Other reportable income.
  2. When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" say yes and then type in a description and the amount to report it on your tax return. Here you will put in UK pension then the amount.
  3. If you paid UK taxes on this benefit, in the line below the first entry, you will describe this as Article 17 of the US-UK tax treaty and record the same amount but with a minus sign in front of the number. This will negate the original entry.

As an FYI, this isn't recorded like a regular social benefit as you described because US social security benefits are not subject to full taxation but partially taxable based on other income reported in the return This is a benefit for tax payers that have paid in the US Social Security system.

@N Grant 

What a good and detailed answer. You describe exactly what I have been doing over the past few years.

Two other points for people with UK pensions and SS.

• When first applying for SS I was asked for the amount I was receiving from the UK. In my case UK state pension for my wife and I, as well a small private pension for me. SS then used a formula and exchange rate (that they declined to explain) to reduce our SS amounts.
  • It's important when declaring the UK pension amounts to log the actual $ amount received since the payment will vary each month based on exchange rate. 

In my opinion its very disappointing that the US government both reduces earned SS benefits and then taxes the income of other pensions.

Tea anyone? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies