Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the US Uniformed Services retirement benefit deduction? What amount to I place in the box?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

What is the US Uniformed Services retirement benefit deduction? What amount to I place in the box?

Are you preparing a state return?    If so, which state?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

North Carolina 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

It is a deduction for military retirement.

In November 2021, North Carolina enacted legislation that allows eligible retired members of the Armed Forces of the United States (“Armed Forces”) to deduct certain military retirement pay when calculating North Carolina taxable income beginning tax year 2021.

The law also allows eligible beneficiaries of the Survivor Benefit Plan (“SBP”) to deduct certain SBP payments beginning tax year 2021.

You can deduct your retirement if you meet the qualifications of 20 years of service or are medically retired or the spouse of a qualifying retiree.

Learn more at Important Notice: North Carolina Enacts New Deduction For Certain Military Retirement Pay and Survivor Benefit Plan Pa...

That part I understand. Is the amount I enter the money received during the year from the military pension? For example, if $5000 was received is that the amount I put?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, that is correct, you enter the amount for pensions so it can be deducted.  @mlapanne 

13579www

My husband is medically retired from US Army and we moved to NC in June.  For the benefit deduction, how do we calculate the amount?  The total disability payments received from June 1- 12/31?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes, first you will allocate to NC in the income section the pension income amount received from 1 Jun - 31 Dec (7 months) (since it is typically received at the end of the month).  Later in the interview you will then be able to exclude that amount from NC taxation as military retirement.

North Carolina

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Did you have a question that hasn't been answered in this thread?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies