Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

firerx2

Where do I deduct health care premiums for retired public safety officers according to the 2006 Pension Protection Act on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Where do I deduct health care premiums for retired public safety officers according to the 2006 Pension Protection Act on my taxes?

Enter this deduction by completing the 1099-R interview for your Public Safety Officer (PSO) 1099-R.

There are three successive screens that appear after entering the basic 1099-R information. If you answer the questions completely and correctly, the amount paid by your plan administrator for your health premiums will be deducted from the taxable total of your PSO pension.​​​​​​​

plham

so is this saying that the $3000 public safety officers adjustment is automatically done once I complete the 1099R interview?  my ins premium paid is $10,452.  Once I enter that and check the box for public safety officer then it's already done correct?  I called turbotax and they told me to deduct the $3000 from my premium, i.e. they told me to enter $7,452 for my ins premium.  It deducted over $1,000 from my refund.  This needs to be more clear next year, I've been working on this one deduction for 2 **bleep** days.

Yes ..follow the interview screens then review the return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies