Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is turbo tax saying I am supposed to receive Form 2439? What is that form for? I cannot complete my taxes because I can not bypass this question.

I did not invest. I only have an IRA
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Why is turbo tax saying I am supposed to receive Form 2439? What is that form for? I cannot complete my taxes because I can not bypass this question.

About Form 2439, Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed includes undistributed long term gains among other things. It would go on your sch D. Your IRA should not be triggering this. Is your IRA on your return this year?  Please see How to Delete  to get rid of the form. If it comes back, the program believes it is needed and something is triggering it. Search for a trigger. If none found,, try:

1. Delete the form, see How to Delete 
  2. Log out of your return
    1. Try one or more of the following:
      • Sign in using a different browser.
      • Sign in using a different device.
  3. Log back into your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No, my IRA is not on my taxes this year. I been using Turbox tax for years and I never was asked about form 2439. What kind of investment is required for form 2439? And who issues it? I’m just trying to figure out why Turbo tax thinks I should have receive form 2439. Sorry for asking, just trying to get to the bottom of it.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

It is a short form. You can see it  Form 2439 (Rev. November 2021) - Internal Revenue Service. It is sent by Regulated Investment Companies (RICs)–mutual funds and exchange-traded funds -along with  Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs). No, it does not sound like it makes sense on your return. Deletion should solve the problem. It isn't a commonly used form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. I will delete the form and see what happens. Thank you so much!

This person says it's meant to possibly claim a refund for taxes paid on your behalf by an investment, even in your IRA:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/should-i-fill-out-form-2439/00/1984777

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies