Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WHY won't Turbotax recognize railroad tier 1 and tier 2 for box 14?? I keep getting the stupid error message that my employer withheld too much? NOT ACCURATE AT ALL!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

WHY won't Turbotax recognize railroad tier 1 and tier 2 for box 14?? I keep getting the stupid error message that my employer withheld too much? NOT ACCURATE AT ALL!

Try adding an additional box 14 entry with the amount reported in box and the drop-down code RR for Railroad Retirement Compensation. 

This should clear the error message.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This reply does not make sense!  WHY must railroaders go through this suggested process?  First, RR Tier 1 and 2 are NOT considered wages or compensation.  These are actual our pension amounts which are deducted from our checks in the form of being taxed, so why must I add another box as compensation?  I don't believe that this is the workaround that should be used.

How about your developers create a BETTER software system to recognize railroaders??!

@shevon2016   @AnnetteB6 

I'm not a RR W-2 expert by any means

...but I think what they are saying, is the box 1 value must also be in box 14 as the category "Railroad Retirement Compensation"

The Tier 1 and Tier 2 taxes withheld need a value to compare to....

......(My problem is that I don't really know if box 1 is always used, or whether box 1 can sometimes be different from the exact "Compensation" value needed for box 14....thus, the box 14 "Compensation" value may occasionally need to be different.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
trinityct

@SteamTrainis correct, you must enter the amount in box 1 in box 14 under the heading of "Railroad Retirement Compensation" in order to clear the error.  Try entering RR in the first column box in 14 to the right of the total compensation figure.  Doing this will clear the error.

@shevon2016is also correct. There is no reason why TurboTax couldn't fix this by asking if the compensation in box 1 is Railroad compensation and then correctly proofing the Tier 1 and Tier 2 tax figures, thus preventing the error message.

TAHmo

The workaround worked but it shouldn't need to be done. I checked my last few years worth of returns and none of them had the compensation value added but I had no issues. I spent an hour on the phone with TT customer service yesterday and while she tried her best and had help from other people the couldn't figure it out basically told me it was a legit error. I stopped going to another very common tax place years ago because I got tired of trying to explain railroad retirement and the tiers to them. There are too many other tax prep software and websites out there to have what looks like a stupid error. They need to get this figured out.

Thank you!!! It worked!

this is the first year we have had this error message come up. my spouse has worked with the railroad for 27 years. smh I am going to try this suggestion when I get home tonight. thanks 

ps: it has the wages listed in the box 14 but it is as rrmedwage and there is no label for that. so I should put rrcompensation as the label for it?

I don’t understand what I’m supposed to put to fix the error

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Enter your Railroad Retirement Tier 1 amounts in box 14 of the W-2. Do not enter it box 4 for Social Security withholdings. In box 14, enter the description, amount, and select the category drop down then scroll to Railroad Retirement Tier 1. Additionally, you will need to enter in box 14 the Railroad Retirement compensation amount from box 1 of the W2 so the overpayment is not reported. Select "Railroad Retirement Compensation" from the box 14 category.

Click here for more information on entering Railroad Retirement information in TurboTax

Railroad retirement is exempt for state income taxes.

I have added a line for Railroad retirement compensation using wages in box 1 plus 12d as suggested in the link you provided. It did make an adjustment, but still shows a small amount of overpayment. Any thoughts?

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Include only your box 1 amount and see if TurboTax is making the adjustment for the amount in box 12 d code automatically.  If that does not work, are there any other amounts in box 12 that might have decreased your Tier 1 or Tier 2 wages amount?  We are basically looking for your gross railroad wages before any deductions in box 12 that would have lowered your taxable compensation.

There was another very minimal amount in box 12, but is not enough for it to calculate correctly. There was also an additional line in box 14 besides tier1, tier2 and the rr Medicare. Employer has told me it is covid sick leave. I’ve even tried adding that to gross wages, but still get a small over payment. I’ve tried all the combinations I can think of. Have never had this problem using turbo tax in the past, something must have changed in their software. At this point I’m wondering if it really is a mistake with the W2 or turbo tax?

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Your Tier 1 taxes should 7.65% of your compensation,  The maximum wages Social Security tax portion (6.2%) is 137,700.  There is no maximum on the Medicare portion (1.45%).  The Tier II tax is 4.9% with maximum wage amount of 102,300.  You might be able to back into the amount of your taxable compensation by using the Tier I percentages.  From there you can look reported wages on your W-2 and box 12 and box 14 come to a total that will equal the calculated amount.  The only variable would be if your compensation is over 137,700.  Otherwise you can divide your Tier I taxes by 7.65% to get to your taxable compensation amount then go from there.

Wildkri20

Box 1 is 27,255.89

14 rrmedtax 412.25

rrmedwage 28431.42

rrtier1 1762.75

rrtier2 1393.14

Getting sane error but if I multiply 7.65% to box1 is about 300 off tier1 and tier 2 is calculated off the rrmedwage?  Any suggestions or just match box1 to rrmedwage and call it a day? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies