Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dmatking

Should railroad retirment taxes count as income taxes withheld?

It doesn't seem like the amounts of taxes withheld in Box 14 are being counted as taxes I've paid. Should they?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Yes the tax withholding should go to 1040 line 25b.  Isn't it there?  

Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

Oh, I'm sorry, getting tired.  The federal withholding in box 2 goes to 1040 line 25b.  The state withholding in box 14 goes on your state return.  

I looked up Railroad 1099R.  Let's start over.  Did you get a RRB-1099-R  or a RRB-1099 (no R at the end)?  

Neither one of them has a box 14.   The Retirement RRB-1099-R only goes up to line 9.  

dmatking

No, I'm pretty sure the RRB-1099-R is for disbursements from railroad retirement. I'm talking about on my W-2. So for example, using made-up numbers, box one has $50,000. Boxes 3-6 are all $0. The amounts normally in box 4 ss tax withheld, and box 6 medicare tax withheld are in box 14 as Tier1 Tax, $3000, Tier2 Tax $1000, Medicare tax $500.  Turbotax doesn't seem to recognize those as taxes that have been withheld so it's telling me I owe $4000 to the government. But I'm pretty sure that stuff in box 14 is supposed to be considered taxes paid to the government. Any ideas?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Only the federal taxes shown in box 2 of your W-2 will be carried to line 25a and count as federal taxes paid. The state taxes withheld in box  17 will be carried to your state return. The amounts in box 14 do not count as income taxes withheld.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies