Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On your form there is only 1 box 135 and my T5013 has two (2) box 135's - which amount gets entered?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On your form there is only 1 box 135 and my T5013 has two (2) box 135's - which amount gets entered?

You can add the two amounts together as they will report to Line 121 as investment income.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

You can add the two amounts together as they will report to Line 121 as investment income.

You should NOT just add the Box135 Amounts together because that messes up your T2209. The CRA wants to know which country you are getting this foreign income from and in my case asked me for a split of USA and for BMU (Bermuda) income box 135 amounts on the slip provided to me by TD Bank.  But there was no current place to make these two box 135 entries. Different countries have different tax treaties and it makes a difference to the CRA.

My subsequent work around given the current T5013 form limitation in the 2020 version of TurboTax was as follows.

Using your paper slip...Lets use USA and BMU 135 amounts for an example.

Enter all the data including source country code and Box 135 foreign income from this USA into the T5013 slip.  Add a seperate T5013 slip for BMU and ONLY enter the Box135 and BMU country code amount on this second T5013.  (ie you have to enter two T5013 slips if you have to report Box 135 income from two countries. The amounts will then properly fill T2209 giving you the proper breakdown of foreign income by country.

The Turbotax form T5013 slip could be vastly improved simply.

Lets assume you are faced with reporting foreign income from 3 countries for Box 135 on the same slip. What I would like to see is this. When you click on Box 135. this should activate a seperate entry screen allowing you to enter the COUNTRY CODE AND FOREIGN INCOME BOX 135 AMOUNT for say countries A, B and C etc.

Basically this will result in additional Box135 Amount and country code columns when end up being reported to T2209 slip. I think the software guys at Turbo tax should make this change, as it is not only me who has had this problem and in my case, it triggered a question from the CRA.

Nefa
Level 2

Same shortcake for 2022

I'm shocked this hasn't been updated by now. 

Get your shortcake together Turbotax

I also have foreign investment income from BMU but the only choices in the country drop-down are USA Country #2 and Country #3 <--- Awesome programming there guys

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and have shared this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Midw
Level 1

Agreed. This is unacceptable. I paid for the more expensive TT for investors this year as I thought it was a limitation of the more basic versions as I have encountered this issue in previous years.  Now I find that even for the higher version $90 for the tax program it does not handle this even though it has been reported as an issue for several years now. 

Also, I was very disappointed that TT doesn't even download the form T5013 from CRA even though CRA has it. 

I have used TT for many years now but next year will look for something else if this is not fixed. 

TT - Please automate T5013 and fix BOX 135 entry. OR give a warning that you do not support this form without this completely unintuitive work around. At the very least you could provide an explanation on the HELP menu for the form. 

Thank you for your continued feedback, we value your opinion and have shared this information with the proper TurboTax team.

It is now April 2024 and you still have not addressed the issues for T5013 and Foreign Credits worksheet and T2209. To make it worse I expect a platitude with your response to this message. Lets be big boys for a change and do something about it. One cant even edit a T5013 without old numbers chowing up in the worksheet. And, when you click on the number in the worksheet to find the source you get some other T form. PLEASE FIX IT. WE ALL PAY GOOD MONEY FOR SOMETHING WE THINK REALLY WORKS AND SAVES US TIME AND EFFORT.

Please contact our phone support team who can view your screen and verify what issue you are seeing so that they can investigate.