Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After entering T2202 Tuition data, Turbotax says I'm not eligible for Canada Training credit because my age is NOT between 26 and 65. Why is my age relevant?

Went to University until April 2023, After graduation I started to work for the rest of the year.  In past years I claimed this credit without any issues, but this year the requirements have changed in a way that disqualifies younger people in school.  Is this a glitch?
3 Replies

After entering T2202 Tuition data, Turbotax says I'm not eligible for Canada Training credit because my age is NOT between 26 and 65. Why is my age relevant?

Age between 26 and 65 is one of the criteria set by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA): Canada Training Credit Eligibility.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hello,

Thanks for that, but in the past I've entered Tuition amounts from a T2202 form and have never seen Turbotax state that this claim is denied because of age (what does age have to do with attending University full-time?  If you go to school you cannot work).  Plus I am not claiming the "Canada Training Credit", I am claiming Tuition fees on line 32300, and according to the CRA the criteria to qualify are:

- 16 years old and older

- enrolled in University

- fees payed by me or parents

- fees not covered by employer

- fees not covered by Federal/Provincial/Territory training program

There is nothing mentioned in CRA under tuition stating that only those between 26 and 65 can claim tuition.  The problem here is with Turbotax, and I am not sure how to get around this.  Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Can you please clarify what exactly is the error message that you are receiving?

The only claim denied would be the Canada training credit (CTC)

As per the Canada Revenu Agency (CRA) To be eligible for the CTC, you must meet all 6 of the following conditions:

• You file an income tax and benefit return for the year
  • Your Canada training credit limit (CTCL) for the year is more than zero.
  • You were a resident in Canada throughout the year
  • Tuition or other fees were paid to an eligible educational institution for courses that you took in the year that you are claiming the credit for or to certain bodies for an occupational, trade or professional examination what is an eligible educational institution
  • The tuition and fees are otherwise eligible for the existing tuition tax credit
  • You were at least 26 years old and less than 66 years old at the end of the year