Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaivan04

Been paying our 13 YO daughter to babysit 2 younger siblings. Likely less than $2800.00 total. Can I claim this? Will she have to file taxes?

Is it worth my while to claim this babysitting expense? Or will my daughter have to pay?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Been paying our 13 YO daughter to babysit 2 younger siblings. Likely less than $2800.00 total. Can I claim this? Will she have to file taxes?

You cannot claim this.  Canada Revenue says

When the child care services are provided by an individual, the individual cannot be:

the child's father or mother;

• another person;
  • a person for whom you or another person claimed an amount on line 305, 306, 315, or 367 of Schedule 1; or
  • a person under 18 years of age who is related to you.

A person is related to you if he or she is connected to you by a blood relationship, marriage or common-law partnership, or adoption. For example, your brother, sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and your or your spouse's or common-law partner's child are related to you. However, your niece, nephew, aunt, and uncle are not.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
fuzzy

You cannot claim this.  Canada Revenue says

When the child care services are provided by an individual, the individual cannot be:

the child's father or mother;

• another person;
  • a person for whom you or another person claimed an amount on line 305, 306, 315, or 367 of Schedule 1; or
  • a person under 18 years of age who is related to you.

A person is related to you if he or she is connected to you by a blood relationship, marriage or common-law partnership, or adoption. For example, your brother, sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and your or your spouse's or common-law partner's child are related to you. However, your niece, nephew, aunt, and uncle are not.

jaivan04

Thank you.