Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kkrivda

Can I claim interest paid on bank loan? My loan statement states to save the document for income tax purposes.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim interest paid on bank loan? My loan statement states to save the document for income tax purposes.

Hello;

You can claim interest paid on a bank loan as long as the interest was incurred to earn investment income. The requirement of earning income generally means that the investments should be paying interest or dividends.  If an investment will never earn anything except capital gains, then the interest expense isn’t deductible.

Note: You can't claim the interest you paid on money you borrowed to contribute to a registered retirement savings plan.

Regards,  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Hello;

You can claim interest paid on a bank loan as long as the interest was incurred to earn investment income. The requirement of earning income generally means that the investments should be paying interest or dividends.  If an investment will never earn anything except capital gains, then the interest expense isn’t deductible.

Note: You can't claim the interest you paid on money you borrowed to contribute to a registered retirement savings plan.

Regards,