Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim my monthly medical insurance fees now I am retired and am paying for this myself?

1 Reply

Can I claim my monthly medical insurance fees now I am retired and am paying for this myself?

As a rule, premiums that are paid to private health services plans including medical, dental and hospitalization plans are considered to be eligible medical expenses by the Canada Revenue Agency. Furthermore, any premium, contribution or other consideration — including sales and premium taxes — that you pay to a private health services plan for yourself, your spouse or your minor children, is an eligible medical expense.

To claim the payments of your health plan premium, include them with your other eligible medical expenses.

Follow the link to know how to enter your medical expenses into TurboTax: How do I enter my medical expenses? 

For more information about deducting premiums paid for a private health insurance plan here's a link to a Turbotax Article:  Deducting Premiums Paid for a Private Health Insurance Plan  

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.