Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PPC14

Can my spouse contribute to her spousal RRSP?

My contribution room is $1000, and I contributed this to MY RRSP, and claimed this on MY tax return. As a side note, a few years ago I also created and contributed to a spousal RRSP for my wife up to my annual maximum allowed. This year my wife has a contribution room of $2000. Can she contribute this amount to HER spousal RRSP and claim it on HER tax return, or does she need to open HER OWN RRSP and contribute to it?  

5 Replies

You can contribute to either your own RRSP, or a Spousal RRSP that you have set up, or both.

You cannot contribute directly ( ie receive a deduction for) someone elses RRSP, either a regular or spousal.

PPC14

Please answer my question above, as your response is not clear to me.
PPC14

I created the spousal for her. CRA claims she can contribute to it. Your answer appears to say no, but I am not sure.

I did attempt to answer your question succinctly, but it does appear CRA is correct, both spouses CAN contribute to the same Spousal RRSP. There some constraints to be aware of, and there are several sources on-line that explain the pros and cons.
The general benefit would be to have a single Spousal RRSP to manage.
Each spouse deduction limit applies, regardless of how many RRSP accounts you may have, either individual or spousal.
PPC14

This was the confirmation I was looking for.......Thanks so much!!!!!