Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contributed more than I needed to bring tax owing to zero . Can I use some of that on 2016 taxes and carry over the rest to 2017?

March 1st 2017, made contribution to RRSP, contributed more than needed to bring tax owing to zero, can I claim only portion needed to bring tax to zero on 2016 taxes and carry over the remainder of RRSP contribution to use on 2017 taxes?

if so how would I do that?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Contributed more than I needed to bring tax owing to zero . Can I use some of that on 2016 taxes and carry over the rest to 2017?

Yes you can.  The easiest way to do this is to go to forms view (Forms on the Blue Toolbar at the top of the page if in EasyStep).  Click on the Forms button on the toolbar within Forms View.  Put RRSP in the keyword Search.  Select RRSP Worksheet and click okay.  In Section 1 heading RRSP/PRPP Deduction enter the amount you want to carry forward in line (ii) and hit enter.  To go back to Easy Step click on the EasyStep icon on the Blue toolbar - four from the left.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes you can.  The easiest way to do this is to go to forms view (Forms on the Blue Toolbar at the top of the page if in EasyStep).  Click on the Forms button on the toolbar within Forms View.  Put RRSP in the keyword Search.  Select RRSP Worksheet and click okay.  In Section 1 heading RRSP/PRPP Deduction enter the amount you want to carry forward in line (ii) and hit enter.  To go back to Easy Step click on the EasyStep icon on the Blue toolbar - four from the left.