Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sensei

EasyStep Transfer Tuition and Education bug has been reported a year ago. Has it been fixed in TurboTax 2018?

1) I was preparing the self-assessment documents using the EasyStep Interview.  There is a question:
  • To whom are you transferring these unused tuition and education amounts?

on the screen "Transfer Tuition and Education (Federal)".  I selected "Parent or Grandparent" So far, so good. 

The next screen "Transfer Tuition and Education (Provincial)" says:

• Since you chose to transfer Federal credits to your parent or grandparent, you can transfer all or part of your Provincial tuition credits to this person.  Enter the provincial amount you wish to designate to transfer on your T2202A, TL11A, TL11B, or TL11C.

I entered the desired amount  (not exceeding the one shown on the same screen) and continued the EasyStep interview till the very end.

2) I inspected the printed documents and found that:

2-a) there is an "X" mark besides the "Parent or grandparent" in the Schedule 11, and

2-b) there is an "X" mark besides the Spouse" in the Schedule ON(S11).

One may observe that 2-a) matches the person to whom I desire to transfer credits , while 2-b) doesn't.  Please, escalate to the Development Team this bug.  I am asking since it is a real pain to remember to  switch to the "forms method" and manually adjust information in Schedule ON(S11).

Please, be aware that this bug was reported a year ago (see https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/questions/1667618-easystep-transfer-tuition-and-education-bug).  As far as I remember, TurboTaxJennifer promised to pass it to the Development Team. For some unknown reason, the link has not been kept  in the system and no availability of the bug fix has been passed back to the community.

Best regards,

Sensei

1 Reply
Sensei

EasyStep Transfer Tuition and Education bug has been reported a year ago. Has it been fixed in TurboTax 2018?

I opened ticket with the TurboTax Support Team.

Please, be aware that this bug may no longer be relevant in provinces/territories where the Tuition and Education credit has been eliminated.