Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sevbatz101
Returning Member

Employer reimbursed part of tuition fees (as an expense), not included as income on 2023 T4. How to enter T2202 amounts? Can I still claim amount portion I paid?

I was a part-time student in 2023 and received a T2202 from my educational institution. My employer reimbursed a portion of my tuition fees (under 20%) as an expense which isn't included on my T4.

Since I paid the rest of the 2023 eligible tuition fees, can I still claim the approx. remaining 80% of the eligible tuition fees and simply deduct the amount my employer reimbursed from the T2202 amount?

If so, how do I input the eligible tuition fees I can claim on TurboTax? Does this impact the "Part-time months" box at all?

When chatting with someone through the CRA Online Chat, it seems I can claim the portion I paid myself (and not reimbursed by my employer).

However, the Turbo Tax system says this:

"This is for your tuition fees. We’ll enter amounts for your children later. Don’t claim any amounts if you were reimbursed for any portion of the cost of the course." It makes it seem like even if only a portion was reimbursed, I can't claim any amount.

Thanks.

Edited to add: Does this impact the Canada training credit that I think I'd be eligible for?

1 Reply
Moussi2

Employer reimbursed part of tuition fees (as an expense), not included as income on 2023 T4. How to enter T2202 amounts? Can I still claim amount portion I paid?

Please contact our Customer Support line at 1-888-829-8608, they will assist you with this matter while you share your screen. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.