Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UA

Filing in Canada, income from US company, 100% income was transferred to Pakistan. Is this taxable in Canada?

So I file my taxes in Canada but once I took some work from a US company and kind of outsourced it to Pakistan sending 100% of the income to a person in Pakistan. TurboTax shows this is taxable income under my name because it's in my bank account.

I once read something about trade where this is not taxable or there is 100% tax rebate for such situations because the person will file taxes in Pakistan.

Also what should I really call this transaction? Outsource, Foreign Employee, Foreign Partner?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Filing in Canada, income from US company, 100% income was transferred to Pakistan. Is this taxable in Canada?

TurboTax cannot report something unless you entered it in your tax return. It's not clear what you meant by TurboTax showing something as taxable income because it's in your bank account.

Did you receive a slip from the US company for your income (e.g., W2)? If you are filing a tax return in Canada, you are taxed on your world income.

It seems you had a sub-contractor who performed the duties of the work you obtained from a US company. You were running a business of sorts and could report it as such (income, expense etc.)

View solution in original post

2 Replies

TurboTax cannot report something unless you entered it in your tax return. It's not clear what you meant by TurboTax showing something as taxable income because it's in your bank account.

Did you receive a slip from the US company for your income (e.g., W2)? If you are filing a tax return in Canada, you are taxed on your world income.

It seems you had a sub-contractor who performed the duties of the work you obtained from a US company. You were running a business of sorts and could report it as such (income, expense etc.)

UA

I figured there is "Salaries, Wages..." field which I can use to report that expense.