Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwbest

For a spousal RRSP I entered the amount on my return as a spousal contribution. Next I entered the same amount on her return as a normal contribution. Was this correct?

2 Replies

For a spousal RRSP I entered the amount on my return as a spousal contribution. Next I entered the same amount on her return as a normal contribution. Was this correct?

Please enter your spousal Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) under spousal contribution on your return only and not on your spouse's return as you are the contributor and the one able to receive the deduction. You will find directions on how to do this in our TurboTax FAQ video below.

For more information, please see our TurboTax articles. 

Contributing to Spousal RRSPs                                                                                         

How do I enter RRSP contributions in TurboTax Online?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

jwbest

Thank you. I did follow all instructions before I posted the question but the RRSP contribution would not register, the only way it would show was to place it under my wife. I requested a call to see what I was doing wrong and after finally convincing the moderator that it simply would not register under my name they relented and admitted there must be a problem with the system. I was told to try it again next week, that perhaps it may work then. With the deadline soon approaching I decided to go to H R Block to do my taxes this year. The deduction worked properly there and I made the contribution on time. I needed to see what my tax savings would be before I invested in the RRSP.