Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hireN

Forms for cpp self-employed

Hi, thanks in advance for your time.

I started working part-time as a Life Ins Agent as a self-employed person and got T4As from the company I am working with. As I have some expenses for licensing/marketing/stationary/home office etc. wanted to claim tax benefits.

1) can I claim such expenses?

2) I am getting warning message "You have self-employment income. If you have entered into an agreement with the Canada Employment Insurance Commission through Service Canada in 2017 or earlier, you can pay employment insurance premiums to be eligible for employment insurance benefits.". I went into fix it to confirm that I don't have any agreement with CRA for EI.

Any help is appreciated regarding which form I might have filled incorrectly.

Regards

Hiren

I think this is my business and Employment insurance is not applicable.

1 Reply

Forms for cpp self-employed

1) can I claim such expenses?............Yes, assuming you have a T2200 from your employer ( please note : you don't need this form (T2200) to fill out self employment claims), you will fill out a T2125 or T777 depending on what is set up by your employer as well as the whatever expenses you will be claiming. 

This is all found under the "Income & Expense" tab  - drop down to "Self employment" or go straight to Forms view and type in the form T2125/T777 under form lookup.

For CPP payment as self employed, this is done on Schedule 8.