Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tianaa.l

Hi, for the "were you a student in 2022" question, what if I received a scholarship from the US and my parents paid the leftover in USD? What boxes should I check off?

This is my first time filing taxes and I spent a year in the States for University. So, I'm not sure what I section because technically someone else paid for my tuition and I received a scholarship in 2022, but that was towards a University in the States.
1 Reply
ShwethaK
Returning Member

Hi, for the "were you a student in 2022" question, what if I received a scholarship from the US and my parents paid the leftover in USD? What boxes should I check off?

Hi @tianaa.l 
As a resident of Canada for tax purposes, you must report your worldwide income to the CRA, including any scholarships or grants received while studying in the US. However, some scholarships are tax-exempt if they are not tied to a specific service. Tuition paid by someone else is usually not taxable income to you, but the person who paid may be able to claim a tax credit. If you're unsure how to report your scholarship or tuition, seek help from a tax expert you can check here 
https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/turbotax-support/en-ca/help-article/tax-return/contact-us/L1h8P...