Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create a koss carry back so I can benefit from the interest paid on my student loan?

When I paid off my loan I tok out a personal loan to do it as I thought the student loan would affect my credit rating.  I did not realize I could write off the interest.  Can I somehow carry the loss forward and claim it now?Write more details about your question here...
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
taxnano

How can I create a koss carry back so I can benefit from the interest paid on my student loan?

The interest on the personal loan is not deductible. However, the  accrued interest on the student loan before you paid it off is eligible for a deduction. You can claim that portion now or carry it forward to a later year.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/319-eng.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The problem is that I paid the government off in 1998 and that is more than 5 years ago.  Is their some rule for idiots who didn't know about writing off their student loan interest?  My interest totaled 7,500.  I think I should get some benefit.
taxnano

Consider filing  a T1-Adjustment for any of those previous years if it will make any difference in your returns. You can search the forum how to complete the T1-adj form.
taxnano

The interest on the personal loan is not deductible. However, the  accrued interest on the student loan before you paid it off is eligible for a deduction. You can claim that portion now or carry it forward to a later year.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/319-eng.html