Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maximus67788
Returning Member

How do I claim unused tuition credits in 2021?

I have unused tuition deductions from previous years of paying for my own tuition. I earned an income in 2021, how do I claim those credits this year?

2 Replies

Unused tuition fees are tracked by CRA and amounts are reported on your Notice of Assessment.

Amounts may be seen in My Account and are downloadable using AutoFill (AFR).

If you have unused Tuition, you can enter amounts under the Tuition section of 'Deductions'.

Amounts of unused credit are applied to reduce tax payable automatically. There is no option to voluntarily postpone the use of unused amounts. CRA knows your unused amount of tuition and they will apply for the credit even if you don't enter any amounts of carry forward yourself on your current return.

For directions on how to claim your tuition fees, here is a TurboTax FAQ link below.

How do I claim my tuition fees? 

The Canada Revenue Agency(CRA) requires that all your tuition fees be claimed in the year you incurred them. The portion which cannot be used to reduce your taxes to zero can be transferred or carried forward as explained in this CRA link below.

Transfer or carry forward amount

TurboTax has an FAQ link, included below, that answers multiple tuition related questions if you wish to review them.

Frequently asked questions about transferring and carrying forward tuition and education amounts

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

maximus67788
Returning Member

I don't see a tuitions section under deductions. When I get to the review section of the form, I get the following message:

Untitled.png