Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vallarson

How do I report a small US pension on which I have already paid US taxes.

I hav a small US pension on which I pay US taxes.  Do I claim this as income, if so, how do I claim US dollars on a Canadian return

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

This should be reported as Foreign Income in CAD. You would need to convert amounts to CAD if you are receiving your pension paid in USD.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

This should be reported as Foreign Income in CAD. You would need to convert amounts to CAD if you are receiving your pension paid in USD.

daba43

where to declare a pension received from another country is NOT OBVIOUS or easy to find. Tsk!!! How and where do I ENTER my pathetic foreign pension income? PLEASE, my return is hung up without this proper information

Go to income tab, select T-slips, select Foreign Income. You will receive an entry page to report your pension. Used CAD.
If your pension is already converted to CAD, use those numbers and a conversion of 1.0000. Otherwise use the USD numbers and apply the appropriate BoC rate for each month. You may need to figure the amount on a spreadsheet.
lamachine

Where does one enter a deduction for foreign pension income from a country with tax treaty with Canada?
lamachine

Found it. It's in the foreign pension income exemption field ...