Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i split pensions? both my wife and i selected the option when we inputted our information but it doesn’t split the pensions.

i’m using turbo tax deluxe online edition
1 Reply

How do i split pensions? both my wife and i selected the option when we inputted our information but it doesn’t split the pensions.

If you and your spouse or common-law partner both receive pension income but are in different tax brackets, it might make sense to split your pension income.

The TurboTax Pension Splitting Optimizer automatically calculates the best distribution of your pension income, which can help you and your spouse pay less in taxes. TurboTax uses all the information entered into your tax returns to determine the amount (up to one half) that can be split with your spouse.

You're also shown a comprehensive view of the different ways you can split your pension income, and TurboTax will recommend the best option to optimize your return. The option of choosing the recommendation or picking a different split is entirely up to you.

Note:

• Not all pension is eligible for splitting
  • TurboTax's Pension Splitting Optimizer is available only if you're preparing your return and your spouse's return together at the same time
  • The Pension Splitting Optimizer is included in all online editions of TurboTax, except TurboTax Free

For more information, please see TurboTax Webpage: Understanding Pension Income Splitting for Seniors

For step-by-step guidance please see our TurboTax FAQ: How do I split my pension income with my spouse?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.