Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sinc2002

How do I transfer tax credit from my tuition to a relative?

1 Reply

How do I transfer tax credit from my tuition to a relative?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

1. In the upper-right corner of your screen, select Find*.
  2. Write "tuition transfer" and click Go
  3. You will see the "Transfer Tuition and Education (Federal)" page
  4. It will ask you to enter the amount to being transferred to a spouse or common-law partner or enter the amount being transferred to a parent or grandparent.
  5.  Enter the amount you want to transfer, up to the maximum allowed ($5,000 minus the amount needed to reduce your own tax payable to zero), and select the person to whom you want to transfer this amount.

Do the same thing with the Transfer Tuition and Education (Provincial) screen, entering the amount you want to transfer, up to the maximum allowed (which varies from province to province), and selecting the person to whom you want to transfer this amount.

You must transfer provincial amounts to the same person to whom you transferred your federal amounts.

TurboTax will automatically put the right amounts in the right places on your tax return. And when your tax return is completed, all you need to do is give the person you want to transfer your Tuition and Education credits to the information from the “Bottom Line Summary” that TurboTax provides.

Please visit our TurboTax article on Understanding Tuition Tax Credits to learn more about the tuition tax credits.