Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to claim tuition credits I used t022 but it is just showing that I have this much amount of unused tuition credits. Please tell me how to claim them

1 Reply

How to claim tuition credits I used t022 but it is just showing that I have this much amount of unused tuition credits. Please tell me how to claim them

Tuition expense is a non-refundable credit. For guidance please see our TurboTax FAQ: How do I claim my tuition fees?

Amounts are reported on a T2202A or equivalent information slip, and must be used to reduce tax payable in the current year. Any credit left over may be either transferred to a parent or spouse, or carried forward.

Note that use of Tuition credit is NOT optional. The software will apply any eligible credit to reduce or eliminate tax payable. Your only choice is to carry forward or transfer, and only credit earned in the current tax year can be transferred.

Unused Tuition is tracked by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and amounts are applied to reduce tax payable automatically and are reported on your Notice of Assessment.

Amounts may be seen in My Account and are downloadable using AutoFill (AFR)..

If you have unused Tuition, you can enter amounts under the Tuition section of 'Deductions'.

Thank you for using Turbo Tax.