Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ref7198

I currently receive CPP Disability pension. My children, aged 4 and 7, received T4A(P) related to Box 17 Children's benefit. Who claims these amounts?

I am 42-year-old married father of two children, aged 4 and 7.  I currently receive a CPP Disability pension.  When the T4A(P) tax slips arrived, I received a T4A(P) where the Taxable CPP benefits (Box 20) amount matched the amount shown in Disability benefits (Box 16).  Then, as part of CPP Disability, each of my children, aged 4 and 7, received a T4A(P) where the Taxable CPP benefits (Box 20) amount matched the amount shown in Child benefit (Box 17).  I have searched forums and talked tax preparation services, but I can not get a clear, definitive answer to the following questions:

1)  Do these amounts issued in my children's names need to be claimed?

2)  Who claims these amounts?  Should I be claiming this amount on my return, or should I be filing separate returns for each of my children?

1 Reply

I currently receive CPP Disability pension. My children, aged 4 and 7, received T4A(P) related to Box 17 Children's benefit. Who claims these amounts?