Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am member of clergy and so is my wife, can we deduct twice?

2 Replies

As a member of the clergy, you may be eligible for certain tax deductions and credits. However, whether or not you and your wife can claim the same deduction twice will depend on the specific deduction in question. 

In general, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) allows each individual to claim tax deductions and credits based on their own individual circumstances. So if you and your wife both have eligible expenses that you can each claim separately, you may both be able to deduct them on your tax returns.

For additional information, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA): If both spouses or common-law partners are claiming clergy residence deductions, the person with the higher salary should complete the calculation on the Form T1223 first, showing "0" on line 7 of Part C, provided there are no other deductions for accommodations other than clergy residence. The person with the lower salary should then take into consideration the deduction with respect to the clergy residence, made by the person with the higher salary, and also include any other deduction for the same accommodation.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.