Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tazruger

I am not a teacher or teacher assistant, but coached a high school basketball team all winter. Am I eligible for the BC education coaching amount?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am not a teacher or teacher assistant, but coached a high school basketball team all winter. Am I eligible for the BC education coaching amount?

The teaching requirement seems to be a hard and fast rule. This from the Provincial tax office web site;

"To be eligible to claim the credit, you have to be a teacher, teaching assistant, principal or vice principal of a school, and your work of supervising students in extracurricular activities has to be unpaid."

The rule also disallows the claim for retired school teachers, except in the year of retirement.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The teaching requirement seems to be a hard and fast rule. This from the Provincial tax office web site;

"To be eligible to claim the credit, you have to be a teacher, teaching assistant, principal or vice principal of a school, and your work of supervising students in extracurricular activities has to be unpaid."

The rule also disallows the claim for retired school teachers, except in the year of retirement.

tazruger

Thank you Terry

It looks like you are not eligible.  From the Province of BC website it says:
You’re eligible to claim the tax credit if you:

• are a resident of B.C. on December 31 of the tax year,
  • are a paid teacher or teaching assistant (including principal or vice principal) working in a qualifying school, and
  • carry out at least 10 hours of unpaid work in a year to coach or supervise students of a qualifying school engaged in extracurricular activities.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/income-taxes/personal/credits/bc-education-coaching-tax-cre...

tazruger

Thank you AndreaW